Molecular and cellular virology: We are looking for individuals with strong interest in viral infectious diseases and experience with cell culture and/or molecular biology. Two projects tackling important pathogens are available:
- Role of essential non-structural proteins in the replication of Tick-Borne Encephalitis Virus (TBEV), which is an endemic cause of serious disease across Europe. We will focus on the composition, cellular localization and structure of the replication complexes and virus trafficking within neurons. The project will be conducted in collaboration with leading TBEV experts, Drs. Daniel Růžek and Martin Palus from the Institute of Parasitology in Biology Centre of the Czech Academy of Sciences.
- Mechanism of RNA replication and encapsidation in dsRNA viruses of the Reoviridae family: We plan to investigate the mechanisms by which non-structural proteins mediate the assembly of viroplasms, which are the sites of RNA assortment, packaging and replication. We will focus on avian reovirus, a major pathogen among farmed birds, and examine the assembly and structure of viroplasms within the host cell.
Both projects will employ tools ranging from molecular cellular biology (e.g. cloning of fluorescent variants), quantitative proteomics using advanced mass spectrometry, single molecule optical imaging in live cells, high resolution structural studies using combination, electron cryo-tomography and X-ray diffraction.
The latest start date is 1st February 2019. Applicants shall also meet these essential requirements:
- be within 7 years after obtaining PhD degree,
- worked at least 2 whole years over the course of last 3 years outside the territory of the Czech Republic in the field of research with working time of at least 0.5, or was a Ph.D. student
Suitable candidates will be interviewed online by a recruitment panel. Please submit your application electronically via e-mail to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The application is open till 31. October 2018. The applications will be reviewed as they are received and interviews will be scheduled accordingly.
The application should include:
- CV including a summary of work experience, publication activity, involvement in research grants, etc.
- Cover Letter
- Contact information of at least two references
Please address further inquiries to:
Roman Tuma, Ph.D., Consortium leader
University of South Bohemia, Czech Republic and University of Leeds, U.K.