The Mass Spectrometry laboratory offers a wide range of services, namely consultations in experiment design, sample preparation, data acquisition and data analysis. The instruments are designed to perform LC-MS/MS experiments, native mass spectrometry and hydrogen-deuterium exchange mass spectrometry. Our researchers are experienced in different kinds of mass spectrometric workflows, including top-down and bottom-up proteomic approaches, biotyping and study of protein complexes.
The laboratory equipment allows implementation of different tasks in proteomics:
- Protein identification and quantification
- Analysis of post-translational modifications (glycosylation, phosphorylation, etc.)
- Biotyping, fast microorganism identification using MALDI whole-cell profile spectra, applicable for distinction of closely-related species or subspecies
- Native mass spectrometry for investigation of tertiary and quaternary structure of proteins and its complexes
- Hydrogen-deuterium exchange mass spectrometry for study of protein complex topology, dynamics and interactions
Currently, there are three mass spectrometers available:Waters Synapt G2-Si, hydrogen-deuterium exchange mass spectrometry
An electrospray ionization based quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometer with traveling wave ion mobility technology. The instrument has an option of 8kDa or 32kDa quadrupole mass analyzer for both peptide analysis and structural characterization of large protein complexes. Fragmentation capability of either CID or ETD is included. The mass spectrometer is connected to LC system with possibility to use 2D nano-LC for separation of complex peptide mixtures. The hydrogen-deuterium exchange connected to mass spectrometry can be applied to follow changes in structure and protein interactions.
Waters Q-TOF Premier
A quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometer with electrospray ionization connected to nano-LC for routine identification and quantification of proteins in a complex mixture.
Bruker Autoflex Speed
A MALDI based time-of-flight/time-of-flight mass spectrometer with an option of off-line nano-LC peptide separation for protein identification.
The instrument is also used for biotyping of bacterial cultures or cell lines.